There are many perks about being bilingual (or trilingual). One of them is being able to meet (and greet) more people and create conversations simply because I speak more than one languages. Another benefit of being able to speak/write in another language besides English is that it makes me more competitive and appealing to my potential employers. I can enhance my critical thinking and writing skills because I can analyze and respond to a peace of writing in a broader and complex ways. I can travel to non-English speaking countries and teach English to others because I can understand them in the native language that we share. I can also help fill out forms, interpret, and translate English for the elders to do not understand English. When I travel back to my country, I can speak my native language so that I will not feel like a foreigner for being gone for so long.
I like the fact that I am bilingual, well, I understand and read some French too, so maybe that counts as "trilingual". It makes me feel very special being able to absorb the cultures and the arts that come with the language too. I truly believe that in order to learn about one's culture, you must learn about one's language. That's why I feel that since I speak more than one languages, I carry within me more than one cultures.
No comments:
Post a Comment