I haven't really thought about what motivates me to read in English because often times when I read, I simply read for enjoyment without thinking too hard about "why". Come to think of it, maybe at first glance,it was the TITLE that caught my attentions. When I open the book, if the font size and style is dull, too small, too big, or too fancy, I will not continue reading that book...I'd prefer fonts that are neutral, not too fancy. The first chapter of the book is really important because it can either invite me to read further, or it can be a turn off for me. If I like the first chapter of the book, I will continue reading the rest of the book regardless of how long it may take. If the first chapter, or the first few paragraphs are unimpressive, I will put the book down and not give it another try (even for school text book, I'd find alternative ways to obtain the informations). I'd usually read my books the second time around if I liked it a lot the first time. The second time is to "get to know" the book at a deeper, critical level....
I just realized something...Reading a book is like being on a BLIND DATE. His PHYSICAL APPEARANCE is like the TITLE. If like am attracted to his physical appearance, I'd start the CONVERSATION with him, which is like reading the FIRST CHAPTER. Five minutes into the conversation with a blind date is like reading the first chapter of a book. If I like the way he carries the conversation, I'd continue the rest of the date (reading rest of book). If I like him after the first date is over (finishing the whole book), I'd most likely go on a second date (read the book again, and again,.....;)
Sometimes people hold on to a book that they have read countless of times, and every times they read it again, they are still fascinated by it...I guess it's kind of like ending up marrying the person that I went on the blind date with ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment